The Space Derby is like the Pinewood Derby, except instead of making and racing cars, the boys make and race rockets. Elijah and I didn't understand that the point was to sand down the rectangular block of wood into a skinny (fast) rocket. It took so long for him just to sand down the corners and make his rocket round that he stopped and decorated it. Scott and I believe in not doing these types of things for him, but with him. Next year, I think he'll be more motivated to spend more time making his rocket skinnier and faster. Not surprisingly, his rocket didn't win any of the races. And, while that was upsetting, I was impressed by how quickly he bounced back from his disappointment. I was much more proud of his resilience than I would've been a Space Derby win.
The two successes of the night were Elijah's resilience and Keira's comfort. She had a ball hanging out with her brother, and eventually they played a game of chase or tag together. She had so much fun playing with Elijah in those chaotic surroundings that she even branched out and started playing with other kids, including Rory, Kieran's little sister. The fact that she left my side and played with new kids was a huge improvement and so fun to watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment