Friday, June 13, 2014

Cub Scout Day Camp

Last summer, Elijah attended his first day camp -- a Cub Scout Day Camp.  The Cub Scout Day Camp is run almost completely by volunteers, so they expect all parents to help out in some capacity during the week.  Since Scott and I both have camp and teaching experience we decided to sign up as counselors.  We alternated and helped run Elijah's group for the week.  Scott went Monday, Wednesday and Friday while I stayed home with Keira, then we switched and I ran Elijah's group on Tuesday and Thursday.  The experience was quite an eye opener for me and Scott.  Firstly, it was our first full-time experience seeing Elijah in a school mode.  He was an angel.  Besides the fact that he's our son and we wanted to spend some time with him, we probably wouldn't have interacted with him at all.  He needs no individual attention in that kind of setting, he follows directions the first time, and even anticipates and helps facilitate when needed.  He was a dream.  The rest of the group was another story altogether.  Scott and I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into!  Managing a group of seven year old boys is not for the weak hearted!  Elijah seemed like he was at least two to three years older and definitely more mature than most of the boys.  Wow.  By the third day, Scott and I both got strict and survived the week, and even enjoyed it.

Most importantly, it was a blast just watching Elijah experience all the activities.  It was such a gift to see him in that setting and feel so grateful for our well-behaved, wonderful boy.  During the week he participated in tons of activities including archery, BB guns, canoeing, sports and games, first aid, rockets and many more.  I was able to take some pictures of a few of the activities including: Tug O War, Knot Tying and Map Skills.







By far, my favorite activity to watch (and photograph) was water games.  Not only, was it an exceptionally well run activity, but it was also amazing to see how far Elijah has come.  For as long as I remember, Elijah has had a fear of water, anywhere near his face, and especially anywhere near his eyes.  But, during the activity, like camp in general, he rose to the occasion.  Many of the boys fussed and whined through the activity and some even sat out.  While Elijah laughed through the station, even when he had a whole bucket of water dumped over his head -- amazing!










No comments:

Post a Comment